Monday, March 5, 2007

Sixth graders question the Crusaders!

Today, I gave a lecture about the Crusaders of the 11-12th centuries. I spoke of Pope Urban and how he absolved Knights of their sins before they marched to the Holy Land to fight against the Muslims. Pope Urban wanted to conquer the Holy Land for Christians and battle in the name of God. Here are some comments from my students:

How can a human being absolve anyone of sins; only God can really do that!

Pope Urban absolved the knights of their sins, so they could go and commit more sins in war.

Some were shocked that knights would wear the sign of the cross on their tunics, as they took very seriously the non-violent message at the core of Christianity.

I am so proud of their heart-felt thinking. I told my class to keep those thoughts alive and go out and change the world. "Know your history, choose your destiny, in the abundance of water the fool is thirsty!"

No comments: